Should We Calibrate Ourselves?
Most companies discover they cannot effectively perform their
own calibrations for many reasons.
The most frequent issues with internal calibrations are:
- Cost of standards: Often, the cost of the assets with the required accuracy to perform the
calibration is prohibitive (It could take years of calibrations to pay for one standard).
- Developing Procedures: Many manufacture’s procedures are not readily available. Sometimes
they require research and development. This can cost hundreds of hours of labor.
- Productivity of Technicians: Often a non-commercial calibration laboratory’s productivity
per employee is only a fraction of what can be obtained through an external commercial calibration laboratory
who specializes in automation, efficient procedures and experienced management.
- Cost of Management: Managing the employees, assets, maintenance and processes of a
calibration lab can be burdensome on existing management staff.
- Cost of
Non-Compliance: The calibration section in ISO 9000 can be
confusing. If your calibration is handled by an external source, your audit is relatively simple in the area of
calibration. If you perform your own calibrations, an auditor has a multitude of things to examine and
find fault with.
- Not a core competency: The overall management burden of the operation distracts from the
core competency of the company.
Choose JJ Calibrations for all your calibration needs!